Sunday, July 11, 2010

My first introduction to WWOOFing

I finally made it to my first farm, Angirelle, in Monterenzio, Bologna. It took 3 buses, 2 trains, and 1 flight. The farm is tucked away in the rolling hills of the Appenine mountains and it has an amazing views. Everything could be the picture on a postcard.

The farm is run two families, have two children each. All under the age of five. It makes for a very loud household. Stella, 4, and Flavio, 2, belong to Ester and Fabrizio. Sara ,3, and Elia, 11 months, belong to Corrado and Francesca. I'm starting to learn a little bit of Italian, mostly from reading the kids' books.

As for work, I work in the vegetable garden weeding or watering or harvesting for about 3 hours in the morning. After lunch and siesta time, I help out Fabrizio set up his irrigation system for the entire farm. It's a big task to accomplish but after we are finished, we no longer have to water each individual plant. We can just flip a switch and watch it do our work for us. I've only been working a few days, but I've already grown (pun intended) a new appreciation for everything eat.

1 comment:

  1. if you need any italian language help let me know!!!

    ReplyDelete